Establishing Paternity in Connecticut

When a child is born to two married parents, the husband is the legal father and his name is put on the child’s birth certificate. However, in the diverse society in which we live, children are born into families of many different dynamics. When parents are unmarried, paternity must be legally established in order for the father to appear on the child’s birth certificate and have legal rights to the child. This is an important step since it also involves future rights of the child.

So, how is paternity established in Connecticut?

Voluntary Vs. Involuntary
Paternity can be established voluntarily or involuntarily. When both parents agree on who the biological father is, they both sign an “Acknowledgement of Paternity” in front of a notary pubic, establishing paternity, voluntarily. This acknowledgement is then filed with the Department of Social Services or Department of Public Health, officially establishing paternity.

Establishing paternity involuntarily is a longer process, involving a court order of paternity. The person seeking to establish paternity (the petitioner) can be the child, mother, alleged father, a guardian of the child or sometimes a person representing a public assistance program. The process begins with the petitioner filing a “Paternity Petition” in family court. A judge may order the alleged father to undergo DNA testing to prove paternity. Once it is established, the judge will issue an official order of paternity and the father’s name will be added to the child’s birth certificate.

Why Establishing Paternity is Important?

Establishing paternity is about more than just a name on a birth certificate. It involves the rights of all involved. Once paternity is established, the father has the right to request custody and/or visitation. He will also be financially responsible for the child. Additionally, the child and the father will have inheritance rights should one pass away before the other. The child will also be able to benefit from the father’s health insurance, and social security and veteran’s benefits.

Establishing involuntary paternity can turn into a long process, especially if parents do not agree on support and custody rights. Individuals facing this situation should seek the help of a family law attorney, ready to advocate in the best interests of the child.

Related Posts

Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements in Connecticut

When it comes to safeguarding assets and interests in marriage, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements are invaluable tools. Understanding the significance of these agreements in protecting financial security and peace of mind is crucial. Prenuptial Agreements: Anticipating the Future Prenuptial agreements, commonly known as prenups, are legal contracts entered into by couples before marriage, outlining the

Read This

Guidelines for Divorced and Separated Families During COVID 19

Leaders from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers (AAML) and AFCC have released guidelines for coparenting during the COVID-19 pandemic. Seven Guidelines for Parents Who Are Divorced/Separated and Sharing Custody of Children During the COVID19 Pandemic BE HEALTHY. Comply with all CDC and local and state guidelines and model good behavior for your children with

Read This

Get the help you need.

Call us to schedule a Free Case Evaluation.

Tell Us Your Story